Do you have a desire to advance your nursing career but feel you can’t afford tuition to pursue a Bachelor’s of Science degree in nursing or graduate school? Never let lack of personal funds stop you from achieving your dream. Many organizations offer nursing scholarships for ethnic nurses to advance their career to the next level. Also, if you belong to a professional nurse’s organization, inquire to see if they offer scholarship programs for minority nurses. Are you planning on studying for a PhD in nursing? If so, some organizations offer generous fellowship awards which provides a yearly stipend to assist with living expenses while you’re studying.
Nurses are needed more than ever today to take on leadership roles as primary care providers. Advanced practice nursing opportunities are steadily on the rise for many reasons. Recent changes in health care reform are opening many jobs for their services due to their high- quality, cost-effective care; and with the population aging, the need for chronic medical care is rising. Many rural and underserved areas are now able to have quality health care for their community members because of the services of advanced practice nurses.
Many nurses do not realize that it is possible to have a good part of their tuition paid for by scholarships. It takes a lot of time to research and find them, but it is well worth it. When you begin to research nursing scholarship programs, you’ll be surprised to find out how prevalent they are. If it is in your heart to achieve your dream, you may discover that you qualify for scholarship awards from one or more of the following organizations:
- Academy of Med-Surg Nurses – offers a $500 career mobility scholarship award to nurses who are advancing their career to the next level. They have scholarships for LPNs becoming RNs; RNs attaining their BSN degree; BSN nurses pursuing a Master of Science in Nursing and MSN nurses continuing their education for a PhD in nursing. In order to qualify for this scholarship, you must be a member of this organization for at least one year. The application deadline is April 15th. Their website is http://www.medsurgnurse.org
- Association on American Indian Affairs, Inc. offers a $500 – $800 scholarship through the Adolph Van Pelt Scholarship Award to undergraduate and graduate nursing students who are at least 25% Native American. Deadline for application is August 1st. For inquiry contact Association on American Indian Affairs, Inc. at 245 Fifth Avenue, Suite 1801, New York, NY 10016-8728 (212) 689-8720
- American Association of Critical Care Nursing offers a $1500 scholarship per academic semester to nursing students completing a Bachelor of Science or Master’s Degree in nursing. You have to be a member of this organization in order to qualify. For info contact (800) 899-2226 Email: http://www.aacn.org Deadline for application is April 1st.
- Oncology Nursing Scholarship for Ethnic Nurses- gives away $500,000 in nursing scholarships with a $2000.00 scholarship awarded to minority students. Deadline for scholarship application is January. Contact info: http://www.ons.org
- National Association of Hispanic Nurses Scholarships – award $1000.00 scholarships to eligible students majoring in nursing. Deadline for application is in April. Contact info: http://www.nahnnet.org
- Minority nurse magazine scholarship – offers a $500 to $1000 scholarship award to nurses pursuing a bachelor of science in nursing degree. This scholarship may also award several stipends. Deadline for this scholarship application is June. Contact info: http://www.minoritynurse.com
- National Black Nurses Association (NBNA) Board of Directors Scholarships – offers scholarship awards for members in the amount of $500 to $2000.00. Deadline for applying for this scholarship is April. Contact info: http://www.nbna.org
- Minority Nurse Faculty Scholarship – offers scholarships to minority nursing students who are studying for a PhD and plan to work as a nurse educator after graduation. This scholarship is sponsored by American Association of College of Nurses and Johnson & Johnson Campaign for the future of nursing. Contact info: Deadline for this scholarship if May 1st Visit American Association of College of Nurses’ website to apply: http://www.aacn.nche.edu/students/scholarships/minority
- William K Shubert Minority Nursing Scholarship – is awarded to ethnic nursing students who are enrolled in a Bachelor of Nursing or Masters of Science nursing program with a focus on pediatric nursing. This scholarship is awarded to increase the amount of minority nurses working at Cincinnati Children Hospital Medical Center. Deadline for application submission is April 30. Contact info: http://www.cincinnatichildrens.org/careers/working/diversity/schubert/
- Gateway to Success Minority Nurses Scholarship – is awarded to students attending Clarkson College of Nebraska in the amount of $10,000 per year for four years, provided requirements are met. This scholarship program also offers an additional $5000 scholarship for students to complete a summer work internship at The Nebraska Medical Center. Contact info: http://www.clarksoncollege.edu/academics/nursing/gatewaytosuccessminoritynursingscholarship/